Top Mechanical Engineering Bachelors degree Programs - 2022

Mechanical Engineering programs prepare individuals to apply mathematical and scientific principles to the design, development and operational evaluation of physical systems used in manufacturing and end-product systems used for specific uses, including machine tools, jigs and other manufacturing equipment; stationary power units and appliances; engines; self-propelled vehicles; housings and containers; hydraulic and electric systems for controlling movement; and the integration of computers and remote control with operating systems.

Of the 37,670 Mechanical Engineering degrees granted each year at the Bachelors degree level, 16% percent are awarded to women and the other 84% percent are men. Did you know that California has more students being awarded a degree in Mechanical Engineering than any other state in the US? In fact, California awarded 3,990 degrees last year! The average annual income for an undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering is $63,500.

Select Type of Degree:

Select State:

Gender

Total Students
37,670
Total Males
31,567
Total Females
6,103

Degree Type

  • Total Bachelors degree

    37,670

Race/Ethnicity

See where Mechanical Engineering is the most popular major in the U.S.
This heat map represents the states that have the highest percent of Mechanical Engineering degrees compared to all other degrees awarded in that state.
Less Popular
More Popular

Top Colleges for Mechanical Engineering

Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus, Colorado School of Mines and Massachusetts Institute of Technology are three schools popular for Mechanical Engineering programs. In fact, around 572 Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus students are pursuing a Bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering. Take a look at the college options in the table below.

Sort By:

Colleges per page

Careers for Mechanical Engineering Majors

The highest paying career for Mechanical Engineering majors is Architectural and Engineering Managers. But, something else to think about is how many job openings there currently is. A position that is in high need that a degree in Mechanical Engineering can prepare you for is Mechanical Engineers.

Top Paying Careers for Mechanical Engineering

  1. Architectural and Engineering Managers   (Median Wage: $152,350)
  2. Aerospace Engineers   (Median Wage: $122,270)
  3. Engineering Teachers, Postsecondary   (Median Wage: $104,940)
  4. Mechanical Engineers   (Median Wage: $95,300)
  5. Cost Estimators   (Median Wage: $65,170)
College Raptor Loading Screen College Raptor Loading Screen