Top Materials Engineering Bachelors degree Programs - 2023

Materials Engineering programs prepare individuals to apply mathematical and materials science principles to the design, development and operational evaluation of materials and related processes used in manufacturing in a wide variety of settings; the synthesis of new industrial materials, including marrying and bonding composites; analysis of materials requirements and specifications; and related problems of system design dependent on materials factors.

Of the 1,516 Materials Engineering degrees granted each year at the Bachelors degree level, 66% percent of whom are men and the other 34% percent are women. Did you know that California has more students being awarded a degree in Materials Engineering than any other state? In fact, California awarded 188 degrees last year! The average starting salary for an undergraduate degree in Materials Engineering is $64,763.

Select Type of Degree:

Select State:

Gender

Total Students
1,516
Total Males
1,001
Total Females
515

Degree Type

  • Total Bachelors degree

    1,516

Race/Ethnicity

See where Materials Engineering is the most popular major in the U.S.
This heat map represents the states that have the highest percent of Materials Engineering degrees compared to all other degrees awarded in that state.
Less Popular
More Popular

Top Colleges for Materials Engineering

Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus and Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University are three schools well-known for Materials Engineering programs. In fact, around 24 Massachusetts Institute of Technology students are pursuing a Bachelors degree in Materials Engineering. Take a look at the college options in the table below.

Sort By:

Colleges per page

Careers for Materials Engineering Majors

The highest paying careers for Materials Engineering majors include Architectural and Engineering Managers, Engineering Teachers, Postsecondary and Materials Engineers. However, something else to consider is how many job openings there currently is. Careers that are in high need that a degree in Materials Engineering can prepare you for are Cost Estimators, Architectural and Engineering Managers and Materials Engineers.

Top Paying Careers for Materials Engineering

  1. Architectural and Engineering Managers   (Median Wage: $152,350)
  2. Engineering Teachers, Postsecondary   (Median Wage: $104,940)
  3. Materials Engineers   (Median Wage: $98,300)
  4. Cost Estimators   (Median Wage: $65,170)
College Raptor Loading Screen College Raptor Loading Screen