A program that focuses on the systematic study of map-making and the application of mathematical, computer, and other techniques to the analysis of large amounts of geographic data and the science of mapping geographic information. Includes instruction in cartographic theory and map projections, computer-assisted cartography, geographic information systems, map design and layout, photogrammetry, air photo interpretation, remote sensing, spatial analysis, geodesy, cartographic editing, and applications to specific industrial, commercial, research, and governmental mapping problems.
Of the 39 Geographic Information Science and Cartography degrees granted each year at the Doctors degree research scholarship level, 41% percent are awarded to women and the other 59% percent are men. Did you know that Maryland has more students being granted a degree in Geographic Information Science and Cartography than any other state in the US? In fact, Maryland granted 15 degrees last year! The average starting salary for a graduate with a bachelor's degree in Geographic Information Science and Cartography is $43,800.
The University of Maryland-College Park, Texas State University and the University of California-Davis are three schools popular for Geographic Information Science and Cartography programs. In fact, around 15 the University of Maryland-College Park students are pursuing a Doctors degree research scholarship in Geographic Information Science and Cartography. Take a look at the college options in the table below.
The highest paying job for Geographic Information Science and Cartography majors is Geography Teachers, Postsecondary. But, another thing to think about is how many job openings there currently is. A job that is in high need that a degree in Geographic Information Science and Cartography can prepare you for is Geography Teachers, Postsecondary.