During your junior year, you should take the opportunity to attend at least one college fair organized by your school or by local academic organizations. At these college fairs, you will get to meet with representatives from various colleges and universities around the country. This is a great opportunity for you to get to know more about a school you may want to attend and have those most familiar with the institution to answer all of your questions.
To get the maximum benefit from this fantastic opportunity, you will have to do your homework first to get at least some basic information about the different colleges. If you do not know anything about an institution, it is hard to know what to ask.
Start by making your shortlist of colleges you are interested in and go through each of the colleges’ websites to know more about the academic programs and extracurricular facilities that they offer. As you go through each college’s website, make notes of what you would like to know more about. This will give you a list of questions that you should ask the representatives at a college fair.
If you are still not sure what questions to ask at your upcoming college fair, these questions will help you get you started.
General Questions to Ask at a College Fair
- How does your school stand out from the other schools that offer the same programs and extracurricular facilities?
- What is the average class size?
- What are the support services I can expect as a student at your school?
- Could I create a new club if there isn’t one available in the activity I am interested in?
- What student clubs are available for me to join?
- What is the community around the campus like?
- Does your college offer any financial aid?
- What academic programs is your college best known for?
- What security arrangements do you have in place on campus?
Academic Questions to Ask at a College Fair
- Does your school offer a major/minor program in ‘X’? What are the requirements to get into that program?
- How is your ‘X’ program different from that offered by other schools in the country?
- Does your school offer any special learning opportunities or programs such as study abroad or any other?
- What career/employment opportunities would be available to me if I pursued a major in ‘X’ at your school?
- I have not decided on a major but my favorite subject in school is ‘X’. What major/s do you offer that would allow me to pursue my interest in this particular subject?
Admissions Questions to Ask at a College Fair
- Do I need to meet any special requirements to get admission into your school?
- Do I need to meet any special requirements to get admission into the ‘X’ program in your school?
- Is ‘X’ a highly competitive program in your college?
- What is the average SAT/ACT score of the students who gain admission in your school?
A career fair is also a great place to get a better idea about career opportunities. Getting a job may seem like a long way off when you are still a junior but choosing the right major and the right college will make it easier for you to get the job of your choice after you graduate. With that in mind, you may also want to ask representatives if they offer help with internship opportunities and other career services relevant to the career path that you may pursue.
Use College Raptor to discover personalized college matches, cost estimates, acceptance odds, and potential financial aid for schools around the US—for FREE!