How to Make FAFSA Corrections

Flickr user Mark Turnauckus

When you file the FAFSA, you must take great care that you provide the correct information as of the date that you sign and submit the application. Filling in wrong information can delay the processing time of your application or it may even void the application completely. So what happens if, after submitting the FAFSA, you realize that you’ve made a mistake while filling in the form?

Fortunately, there is a provision for applicants to make corrections on the FAFSA form. If you realize you’ve made a mistake, say you made a mistake when entering your financial details, you can and should make the corrections as quickly as possible. You are allowed to make corrections any time before or during the award year.

How to Make FAFSA Corrections

There are two ways you can make corrections to your FAFSA form:

  1. Online – This is the easiest and quickest way to make a FAFSA correction. You log in to your FAFSA page and click ‘Make FAFSA Corrections’. Then go ahead and submit the new information.
  2. Via Mail – This is not recommended as it takes a longer time to get processed. However, it is an option for those who prefer this method. To send FAFSA corrections by mail, you have to find the incorrect information on your paper Student Aid Report (SAR) and enter the correct information next to it. Then sign the SAR and mail it to the addressed mentioned on the report.

After you make a FAFSA correction, you will receive a new SAR that is calculated based on the new information you’ve provided.

A Note on SSN

The only detail you cannot change when you make FAFSA corrections online is your Social Security Number. If you’ve submitted your wrong Social Security Number, you will have to call the college financial aid office for help. In most cases, they will advise you to fill in and submit a new FAFSA with your correct SSN.

College Raptor Staff

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *