Top Mechanical Engineering All Programs - 2020

Of the 45,825 Mechanical Engineering degrees granted each year, 14% percent are awarded to women and the other 86% percent are men. Did you know that California has more students being awarded a degree in Mechanical Engineering than any other state in the US? In fact, California awarded 4,935 degrees last year! The average annual income for an undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering is $63,500.

Select Type of Degree:

Select State:

Gender

Total Students
45,825
Total Males
39,292
Total Females
6,533

Degree Type

  • Total Bachelors degree

    35,526

  • Total Masters degree

    8,205

  • Total Doctors degree research scholarship

    1,586

  • Total Associates degree

    322

  • Total Postbaccalaureate certificate

    139

  • Total Post masters certificate

    39

  • Total Award of less than 1 academic year Degree

    7

  • Total Doctors degree professional practice

    1

Race/Ethnicity

See where Mechanical Engineering is the most popular major in the U.S.
This heat map represents the states that have the highest percent of Mechanical Engineering degrees compared to all other degrees awarded in that state.
Less Popular
More Popular

Top Colleges for Mechanical Engineering

Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus and Colorado School of Mines are three schools popular for Mechanical Engineering programs. In fact, around 399 Massachusetts Institute of Technology students are pursuing degrees in Mechanical Engineering. Take a look at the college options in the table below.

Sort By:

Colleges per page

Careers for Mechanical Engineering Majors

The highest paying career for Mechanical Engineering majors is Architectural and Engineering Managers. But, something else to think about is how many job openings there currently is. A position that is in high need that a degree in Mechanical Engineering can prepare you for is Cost Estimators.

Top Paying Careers for Mechanical Engineering

  1. Architectural and Engineering Managers   (Median Wage: $140,760)
  2. Aerospace Engineers   (Median Wage: $115,220)
  3. Engineering Teachers, Postsecondary   (Median Wage: $101,720)
  4. Mechanical Engineers   (Median Wage: $87,370)
  5. Cost Estimators   (Median Wage: $64,040)
College Raptor loading bar gif.